Monday, August 17, 2009

ONE MORE TRIP

THE BINKLEY'S EXITING THE AIRPORT

I picked my friends Vic and Donna Binkley at the airport in Port au Prince yesterday afternoon as they returned to Haiti two months after Vic was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. He is undergoing chemeo and had a short pause between treatments to work in a 10 day return to Haiti. The hope is that the chemo will shrink the tumor enough that they can go in with a cyberknife and eradicate the tumor. Vic is scheduled to do one surgery a day while here which is ironic for that is what he hopes for himself. One chance for the surgery that could remove his tumor, his only hope at this point beyond a miracle from God. Vic has been the only person here in our area of Haiti who has given so many Haitians hope from injuries, cancers and other medical issues with his skilled surgeon's hands. On our ride out to Pierre Payen we reminisced about the changes in Haiti and our hopes for a country we both love. Vic and Donna have been coming here since the mid seventies to do surgeries at the Pierre Payen clinic and later the new hospital across the street. Vic is the guy who recruited me and convinced me that I should come here and work with my construction talents and I spent 5 months finishing the hospital at his urging. He became my mentor as I went on again at his urging after God's leading to start G.A.P. go and produce ministry in 2002. I honestly can't imagine Haiti without Donna and him just down the road at Pierre Payen. So my hope is though some of you may not know him lift him and his wife up in your prayers. In God's love , steve

No comments: