Friday, August 7, 2009

ANOTHER WEDDING






















This morning I drove up to a small village called Borel for a wedding, this is a place I worked and lived at for three months when I was working with the Project Help Mission in Haiti. When I moved up there from the Project Help Compound at Pierre Payen in Jan. of 2002 I took a young Haitian man in his early 20's with me, his name was Djony. I left in April and went down to Montrouis to found G.A.P. go and produce Ministries. Johnny stayed on at Borel and is now the overseer of mission teams there for P-H as well as maintenance for the facilites. He eventually met a young Haitian lady living in the community, her name was Suze which sound like (seas) when pronounced, today was their wedding day.
This was my fifth Haitian wedding in the last 10 years I have been to 3 this year alone and have an invitation to another one tomorrow morning that I won't be able to attend because of the arrival of a work team. If you haven't already read my previous blog titled
CELEBRATIONS you might want too . In that blog I talk about the biggest events in the lives of Haitians, wedding of course are one those events.
I always marvel at the amount of money spent at Haitian weddings and wonder how long they have to save to afford these celebrations. Yet look at American weddings in comparison, $10,000 on up seems to be the norm in the states anymore. Through out other cultures weddings are big events if not the biggest one. Even Jesus' first miracle occurred at a wedding where the family didn't want to be embarrassed because they ran out of wine.
The wedding was suppose to start at 8:00 am but as is typical in Haiti was an hour late it concluded at 12:30. When the wedding concluded at the church the reception moved across the street to the huge dining hall at the P-H compound where Johnny lives. It was great to able to participate in this wonderful event in my friends life. In God's love , steve




No comments: