Monday, August 3, 2009

DOING A NEW THING



SMALL SCALE AGRICULTURE
Well I made it out to Canaan Monday afternoon no one knew I was arriving so it was a surprise. We had a small team arrive led by Chris Hlaveck, they shot a video about the Medika Mamba program that is run out of the Canaan Clinic. Saturday we have a group of college students arriving from Illinois and on Monday our medical team of 17 people arrives. I spent all of today
in St. Marc getting the AC working on my small truck but it was worth the 5 hours it took to repair it.

The pictures of the portable chicken coop and the rabbit hutch was taken at World Harvest Mission in Port au Prince where I stayed Sunday night. These are some of the many changes my friend Sam has instituted and experimented with since he went to live there. I hope to try similar new ideas in our Feet Across the Mountains Ministry. One of the 9 objectives of this new ministry is in agriculture. We hope to introduce new agriculture techniques that will be good for the environment. We also will be setting up community tool banks and seed banks. People can come and borrow tools for projects or farming and seed where after our initial investment it will be sustained by the farmers paying us back in a little extra seed than they borrowed. We will also be setting up community operated plant and tree nurseries for the farmers to help reforest the stripped mountain sides of Haiti. Hopefully I can fill you in the other objectives in some of my future blogs . In God's love , steve

No comments: