Tuesday, June 30, 2009

TAKING OFF


The Quadracci Pavilion and Burke Brise Soleil
Yesterday evening Shirley and I arrived back home from our nearly four day trip to Milwaukee, Wisconsin . After my final two meetings on Monday morning it was time for us to take off from this year's NACCC annual meeting. I really found yesterday meeting's possibly the most beneficial of those I was involved with.
My first one was strictly among us missionaries supported by the NACCC Mission Society. We were able to learn what I would refer to as protocol the expected and required procedures to work with the Society. We also brainstormed and discussed ideas among ourselves on running and promoting out individual organizations. Seeing how the meeting's theme was Doing a New Thing I find myself pondering some new ideas already.
My last meeting was what is referred to as setting on the hot seat where you spend a hour being interviewed by the Mission Society. This is a time for the Society members to get to know you as well as find out more about your ministry and organization. The other side of the equation is you get to promote your work and seek the Society's help and assistance.
Now about those photos of the first Santiago Calatrava designed building completed in the U.S. This is the center piece and welcome center of the Milwaukee Art Museum . It sets right downtown on the shores of Lake Michigan on their miles of extensive lake front park system. The building takes on the appearance in my mind depending on where you stand of a giant airplane taking off, or a large sword fish and in some respects the Nautilis from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
It does have a wing span of the size of a 747-400 and the mast that supports the wings weighs more than 300 elephants. The wings have 2 electronic wind sensors that will automatically close the wings when speeds reach 23 mph. The wings also open at 10:00 am, close and reopen at noon and close at 5:00 pm.
Next year the annual meeting will be hosted in Anchorage, Alaska. My wife and I are seriously considering whether to attend and will be praying about it in the coming months . This years event though was well worth our time and financial investment as I feel much was gained and learned. You go away feeling recharged and ready for a new take off for higher altitudes.
In God's love , steve

No comments: