Tuesday, May 26, 2009

REMEMBERING

ROCKS IN A RIVER

I know I haven't posted a blog lately and I apologize for that, I could say that I have been busy and that blogging takes a certain amount of effort and commitment. All of that is true but mostly I guess for me it has been a form of weariness and some soul searching that has kept me from writing the last week.
As some of you may know I'm on a several months leave away from the work in Haiti, which is normal for me at this time of year. My routine over the years has kind of evolved into a schedule of where my work season in Haiti runs from November through April and more recently, last year and this a mid summer trip in July and August. At any rate I'm back home right now for my longest uninterrupted period of time each year. It is always a great time to be home, especially if you live in the North and on a lake, of which I do. It can often lead to a time of evaluation and decision making about the past and the future.
It seems everyone and every place is going through some tough times right now. There is lot's of uncertainty, temptation, difficulties and testing circumstances going around and no one is exempt. My own home Church has gone through a difficult four year period and now seems to be transitioning out of it, to hopefully reclaim God's plans for us. Our country is in a difficult period and will hopefully get back on the right course. Many of my missionary friends are also facing personal, emotional, financial and cultural challenges that often shake their faith and strength to at times it seems go on.
In reality that is what Memorial Day is all about, a time of remembering. To remember those who came before us, who sacrificed so that we might have and enjoy what we now have and hold dear. The Bible gives us many examples of God asking his people to commemorate special events . Joshua 4:1-9 is one occasion. He asked that Joshua choose 12 men to represent each tribe and to take 12 rocks out of the Jordan River and place them as a memorial of what He had done for them as they crossed the river that day.
Such a memorial has 3 distinct purposes: first it reminds us what God has done for us in the past. That He loves us and keeps His promises to us.
Secondly it helps us see what He is doing for us right now through whatever difficulty we might be encountering. It gives us strength to cross through those difficult times ( rivers) and to trust in Him.
Third it shows us what He plans for us in the future. It gives us faith to seek and follow His will for our lives.
This week past week I received news that already flooding has started in Haiti, eleven lives and thousands of homes have been swept away. I recently received reports that several missionary families I know are going through some personal difficulties. I don't know what personal crossroad you may be at, what struggle or crisis you are facing. I do know I was encouraged by the message of what this Memorial Day weekend represents to me.
That each and everyone of us have the opportunity to offer our lives as a living memorial by building on the past, strengthening the present, and giving hope to the future. We sang a song Sunday I think called "God of This City" it goes "greater things have yet to come and greater things still to be done". Please don't miss out on those promises because your discouraged but remember back on what He has done, is doing and will do for you. In God's love , Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen...you are so right.