Monday, May 11, 2009

HIGH FIVES











LOVING MOTHERS

A second grade teacher had given her class a science lesson on magnets. The next day she had this question on their test : I have six letters in my name, the first letter is M, I also pick up things , what Am I? " When she graded the test she was amazed that 50 percent of the class put down " mother." Mother's do a lot more than just going around picking up after children and husbands, so much that we have set aside a day to honor them. I wavered back and forth about doing a Mothers Day blog and didn't even post yesterday because I had changed my mind against it but as I sat down this evening I decide yes I would.
So here's a little history that I hope is accurate. The idea of a holiday to honor mothers originated with Anne Jarvis when her own mother passed away in 1908. By 1914 she had lobbied so hard for a special day to be set aside to commemorate motherhood that it became a national holiday. Now here is where I can't verify my facts 100 percent but some years after she became so unhappy with the commercialization of it that she spent the rest of her life and money fighting against it. She once said about the trend of giving a mother's day card "what's wrong with people that they're so lazy they can't write a letter from their heart to their own mother". She said this about those who gave candy "they give you a box of candy and you eat one piece and they eat the rest." To say the least she went to her grave embittered about her Holiday to honor mothers.

As we left for church yesterday morning, Shirley, my wife, made the comment that she hoped the new pastor wouldn't go the traditional route of "Mother and Home" and dispensing of flowers or whatever that have been handed out at some previous services. She got her Mother's Day wish, yesterday's message was titled The High Five for Parents and is the reason I decided to do this post tonight.

Our new pastor who likes to go by the name Johnny Mac chose to start a new two part series on parenting yesterday. Haitian mothers like mothers in the states and most likely all other cultures have a natural innate love for their children. As I posted on May 1st my youngest daughter Sarah gave birth to a precious baby girl and over the days since, I have observed the special bond, of comfort and contentedness that the baby has when she is being held by her mom, grandmother and even non related women. When I hold her, and I have held my share of babies, she is a little less comfortable and at ease as are most of us men when we hold a tiny newborn. There definitely is a special thing between a mother and child.

A devotional I read for Mother's day said this: "A good mother loves her family and provides an atmosphere where each member can find acceptance, security and understanding. She is there when the children need a listening ear, a comforting word, a warm hug, or a loving touch. And For Christian mothers, her greatest joy is in teaching her children to trust and to love Jesus as their Savior". I agree with the writer that these things are of great importance and are joyous occasions but I would have to disagree that this is the sole responsibility of mothers.

In fact our pastor's sermon was based on his 20 years of working with youth and his interest as to why some children turn out so well adapted and others struggle. Briefly this is his conclusion on how to be great at parenting. Like any journey you should begin with the end in mind . So these are the three questions any parents should ask about the end results of parenting. Who will this child be at 18 as he or she moves out into adulthood ? What beliefs will that child adhere to as an adult? What is this child's destiny ? The High Fives of parenting aren't exactly a mother does this and a father this but a joint effort. Now wouldn't it just be wonderful if we do away with Mothers Day and Fathers day and create one single holiday called Parents Day.
This might even appease poor Anne Jarvis who felt her holiday didn't turn out to honor motherhood quite the way she intended.
In God's love , Steve
Honor your father and mother as the Lord your God has commanded you. Deut. 5:16

No comments: