Friday, April 17, 2009

HAITI PROJECT NEARING COMPLETION

On Friday April 10th I took my team of 28 people from Bear Lake, Indiana to hike up to the Feet Across the Mountains work project in the Mountrouis River Corridor. I hadn't been up there myself in 10 days so I was eager to see what progress had been made on the road to Frettas. Being Good Friday and a national holiday weekend the crew wasn't working. I was amazed at how much progress had been made in my absence. The road is now passable for at least one vehicle in all but one short spot. Here there is still a very large boulder that narrows the road down to about 4-5 feet of width. The workers are still very enthusiastic about finishing the work and excitement and pride is building in what they have accomplished working together for the good of the community. I was told by one of the Bear Lake team members That on the walk back one young man explained how important the completion of the road was to the communities in the mountains that depended on it. I know on an earlier survey we conducted on a Montrouis market day I was suprised at what we heard. Many of the people are walking from villages as far away as 10-11 miles to get there produce, grains and livestock to market. Then they return in the afternoon with what they purchased or traded for to their homes in the mountains. It is still often difficult to imagine that in this day and age this story is repeated in the lives of so many all around the world. Thanks to the supporter's of Feet Across the Mountains for helping us accomplish this project. In God's love, steve

No comments: