Sunday, February 8, 2009

NO REST FOR THE WEARY

Sorry for the long delay in posting a blog, my intentions were good in doing this at least weekly but I ran out of steam the last 2 weeks. On the positive side the wireless internet has been working in my house for the last 12 days making internet access much easier. The negative side is that I started to get wore down from the 29 straight days of hosting and directing teams without a break over the last 4 weeks.
I usually start my day by getting up at 5:45 to make coffee for myself and those on the teams who like good Haitian coffee, by 6:30 people are arriving at my door to come in and drink coffee and talk before we go down to breakfast at 7:00 after that we start our work projects or for some go teach or go to the clinic. We usually quit for the day at 4:30 or 5:00 to clean up for supper at 5:30. At 7:30 the teams arrive back at my house for devotions and conversation, later they go back to the dining area to play with the kids , do e-mails ,watch movies and play card games. My days are kept busy by keeping the team members supplied with tools, parts, materials and advice and direction. This often includes multiple trips into Montrouis or St. Marc. sometime around the first week of Feb. I was starting to look forward to a break when I could once again set my own schedule. The last of my Jan. teams left on the 7th and as I drove back from the airport on Sat. it was all I could do to stay awake . Nephtalie, Celian, Beliha and Loveline slept in the cab of the truck and all I could think about was getting back home and taking an afternoon nap.
No chance of that as we pulled up the drive I noticed one of our teenage girls sitting off by herself crying and as I got up the drive I saw the father of Charna who had just turned six 2 days earlier. After setting and talking with him for a short while I went down the drive to try and cheer up the girl who had been crying as I arrived home. I'm not convinced this is one of the gifts or talents that God bestowed upon men, but I think he blessed me in this particular instance.
After that it was off to purchase some diesel fuel so we could run our generator later that night, which is no small task as after 5 weeks we still don't have fuel in either of the 2 stations in Montrouis, the closest fuel is 10 miles away. After supper I did some hand laundry and started to organize the house. I think I may have went to bed at 9:00 or 9:30 I do know I slept in till 6:00 am since it was Sunday and the last of my coffee drinking companions for the month had headed home. Now that the teams have departed for awhile some of my special Canaan girls and boys are showing up at my house in the evening to hang out and with me before they have to go to their dorms for bedtime. Such is my life at Canaan.

No comments: