Sunday, March 15, 2009

WE WILL LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON FOR YOU

The day before I leave for Haiti is always busy. Last minute things to buy , banking to do, business to finish, calls to make, finish up packing, it is usually a very stressful day. On top of all that Monday was my birthday which we had hoped to celebrate with an evening meal out before my wife's Church Leadership board meeting at 7:00 pm. I really wanted nothing more than to stay at home watching t.v. and relaxing in my recliner all evening. Instead I had promised a friend that I would come watch his first rehearsal for a concert he will be putting on in April to raise money for the Canaan Clinic. So rather than drive two vehicles to church I told my wife I would just wait around for her to get out of her meeting.
So as I was waiting in my wife's office reading a paper a young woman and small boy came in and asked if a pastor might be available. She then tearfully explained that she was traveling back to her home and her car was about to run out of gas and she didn't have any money to buy any. She had stopped to ask a police officer and several other for assistance but no one wanted to help. As she drove by she noticed the church lights were on and decided to take one more chance at finding some help. I told her there wasn't any pastors available but I would be Glad to help her out.
As a missionary in Haiti none of this is new to me people come to me all the time looking for help with their problems. They know if anyone will help it is those who work for and follow God's call. The early Christians depended on the Church . They looked out for and took care of each other and those in need. Should it be any different now or here in the U.S. than it was 2000 years ago or than it is in Haiti? Ten years ago I first went to Haiti to answer a call from God, I'm still there. My call was to be a shining light, to love the people and be generous with my love and transform the world by being a positive influence.
Today's churches and the people in them have the same calling and opportunities to be a light in a dark world, to love those shunned by others, to be generous and to transform the world. There use to be a T.V. add for a national chain of motels that said " we will leave the lights on for you " wouldn't that apply just as well for today's Churches ?
I've been in Haiti since last Tuesday and had been hoping to post this blog as soon as I arrived but I've been feeling a little under the weather so sorry it didn't happen till tonight.

No comments: