Thursday, March 26, 2009

PREACH THE GOSPEL AT ALL TIMES

On Monday the "Feet Across the Mountains" outreach of G.A.P. go and produce Ministries started work on the final section of the Road to Frettas (fret-ta). This is no easy undertaking in the rocky mountain terrain high above the Mountrouis River. Diesmy (Jasmin) my field coordinator and myself worked with the 100 plus people who volunteered to see this project get completed. The workers start at 7:00 in the morning and work to noon, I was surprised at the number of women who turned out to help on the road work. Our tools consist of pick axes, hoes, shovels, spades and sledge hammers. These tools are never fun to work with and even less so in the hot Haitian sun. You also need to be constantly aware that the road edge is a sheer drop off to the river down below. A slip of footing or balance and you might be finished and I'm not talking for the day. I have been busy with some other projects the last several days but Diesmy worked with the people on Tuesday and Wed. I'm looking forward to getting back there tomorrow morning to see how progress is going and hopefully cheer everyone up with my presence. On Monday I know my working along with the Haitians was a morale booster for the workers involved. I'm a firm believer in leading by example and that there is no better way to show how much you care than by working right along with those you want to help. I will close with a favorite saying of mine that hangs on the wall of my home here in Haiti. It is by Francis Assisi, "preach the gospel at all times. If necessary use words". In God's love , steve

No comments: