Monday, January 3, 2011

TOP FIVE REASON'S YOU SHOULD BOOK YOUR NEXT MISSION TRIP WITH G.A.P!!!


Well this should be a fun blog, so get the popcorn popping and pull up a seat, cuz here we go. This is officially my second blog on the G.A.P site and Wow do I have a lot to blog about. Where to even begin I am not sure. Well for starters I would like to send a shout out to Steve Mossburg.... there was a wonderful article written about him today:

Take a few moments and check it out! Steve, we are so proud of you and honored to serve with you in Haiti.


http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110129/FEAT04/301299986


So I am sitting here in Haiti huddled under a mosquito net trying to hide from the mosquitoes. (the hiding is not working btw) I wanted to start by giving you all a top 5 reasons why YOU should come and visit G.A.P, Steve, Shirley and I in Haiti...


DRUM ROLL PLEASE.... Here is the countdown:


Now of course this wont make any sense if you haven't visited Haiti yet... but if you have...enjoy!


5). Where else can you go and hear roosters that start hollering and "cock a doodle doo...ing" at 9:00 oclock at night?? What is great about these roosters is they holler all night long. They have amazing rooster lungs. I mean this is a Haiti classic sound. Steve and I thought maybe we would make a CD and call it "THE SOUNDS OF Haiti!" I am sure it will become a best seller in NO time! ohhh or we could do scratch and sniff stickers and call them "the smells of Haiti" Ok I won't go there! We could also add the barking dogs that like to bark all night long and even throw in the famous mosquito that likes to buzz in your ear when you are trying to fall asleep. We could even add the sound of the "coconuts" that like to fall on the mission/ and guesthouses at night. Maybe we could even add the little scurrying feet of the "coconuts" (NOTE: "coconuts" is code word for "RATS." shhhhh! wink wink!


4). I mean where else can you go to ride in a "TAP TAP!" Amazing how many Haitians can fit on those things! How many of you have gotten to ride in the BIG TRUCK.... ??? What a ride!! You feel like you are cattle on a roller coaster. Who needs a massage when you have the fabulous roads of Haiti? I had the honor of riding in the BIG TRUCK with my seven/Plus children one time when it was pouring down rain. Now talk about an adventure! (I say seven/Plus children because at the rate I am going, by time you get here it could be more.)


3). Mosquito nets really have become the new fashion in Haiti... for all the missionaries. Stacie (our trusted nanny) actually has a hot pink one with a Princess crown on it. You can come to Haiti and feel like royalty as you sleep under a net.


2). I was thinking... mattresses and hot showers are really overrated! Who needs them when you can sleep on SPRINGS and coils! Oh the fun you can have in Haiti! Who needs a hot shower when you can feel like you are swimming everyday while you take a cold Haiti shower. When it rains here in Haiti...feel free to just put on a swimming suit and grab a bar of soap and start scrubbing. Haiti Rain showers are the best!


1). When you come to Haiti your life will be forever changed. Not only can you spend a week sacrificing of yourself but you can see, feel, taste the heart of Haiti. You will absolutely fall in love with the people. You can feel the very presence of God. You can be Jesus to Haiti. You can truly learn what it means to be crucified with Christ. We as Christians can get so consumed with the distractions and the things of this world...come to Haiti and get consumed with the things of God. Wake up early and you can touch the very heart of God. Go to bed looking at the amazing stars and let God wrap His healing arms around you. You can feed, clothe, love, help, and wash the feet of God's precious people. You could probably think of a million reasons why you can't go to Haiti...but forget those reasons...think of just one reason why you can and GO FOR IT. I mean there is nothing better then sweating and serving!!


I am booking mission teams and families for 2011 and 2012. Please feel free to email me if you are interested in coming to Haiti. If you are not able to right now but still want to donate so another person can come, please let me know. heatherelyse7@gmail.com or 918.633.5820


Ok so here is a quick overview of some of our fun adventures my seven wonders aka my children and I have had while in Haiti: Please take notes: Feel free to Learn from my mistakes!


1). When yawning...be very careful!! I had a mosquito or some flying object literally fly in my mouth and yes I swallowed it. YES, I was even under a mosquito net. I seriously panicked and got caught in my mosquito net as I was desperately trying to find the opening of it. I ended up all tangled up in it. The entire time I am gagging and trying not to.... (well how do I put this nicely...hmmmm there just isn't a way)...VOMIT! By time I stumbled looking for my flashlight, I could feel the "whatever it was" trying to get out. I ended up drinking a lot of water and had a ministering session with the toilet. So next time you yawn in Haiti... put a mosquito net (preferably hot pink) over that mouth!


2). Yes it is true I brought all seven kids to Haiti with me. By the first week we were here... somehow my number grew to nine kids or wait maybe it is ten now.... let me count. :) haha Ok so here is my advice to anyone bringing kids to Haiti: A: bring lots of sanitizer B: advil C: wipes D: snacks E: bug spray F: remember the code word for anything creepy crawly like tarantulas, lizards, rats is "coconuts."


3). Well we have officially experienced our first tarantula experience.... I mean excuse me "coconut" experience. YES it was confirmed as a tarantula unfortunately. Let's just say I had a "come to Jesus meeting." Still a bit traumatized over it. Not sure if I am ready to blog about it quite yet. Might need some therapy. Let's just say I have been praying a lot here in Haiti. My prayer life has really increased...PRAISE THE LORD! So just think...you coming to Haiti will do wonders for your prayer life.


OK well my dear friends that is all for now, I guess it is time for me to listen to the "SOUNDS of HAITI." I pray that God does miracles in your personal lives and in your homes. May God wrap HIS amazing arms around you today and remember to BE STILL and KNOW THAT HE is GOD. Psalm 46:10


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkgRVVRYDk


YOU ARE LOVED!


Love,


Heather









3 comments:

Mandy said...

So true! LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Thanks for sharing! I miss you already! Say hello to all the coconuts for me! I still have my skeeter bites to remind me for the next week! We call bug spray the Haitian cologne!

Megan said...

Loved reading this Heather! So true and funny. You are amazing and I wish I could have spent more time with you when I was there. Hoping to have another opportunity to come down, hopefully with my children next time. Take care of those precious babies!

MFHCM said...

Love this post! Keep up the good work in Haiti!

http://www.mannaforhaiti.com
http://www.mfhcm.org