Wednesday, January 7, 2009

CHAOTIC START

Those of you following my blog, Facebook or website know I'm back in Haiti . This is my third night back at Canaan so I felt I ought to give you a short update. I arrived on Monday about 4:30 which was thirty minutes past the scheduled time. Considering we had an engine that wouldn't start in Cinncinati and long security lines in Miami I'm just happy I arrived at all on Monday.
This week is very busy, maybe chaotic is better but I'm sure some of you who have been to Haiti thing that is normal for us. I have a team of 10 arriving on Friday which always makes for lots of preparation before they arrive. Sleeping arrangements, food, transportation , projects ready and other activities such as side trips, hikes, and swimming, these are just normal things we prepare for each team. This Saturday we have a special event here at Canaan, a wedding, Sister Gladys and Pastor Henri cofounders of Canaan will be getting married. Pastor Wayne Shenk from British Columbia Canaada who was also instrumental in the creation of Canaan will be arriving on Friday and will marry the couple in the the Canaan Chapel.
On top of all that a person very close to Gladys from her early childhood has passed away and the funeral is on Sunday. All the preparations for the funeral have fallen on Gladys and Pastor Henri for that event as well . The clutch on Canaan's big truck also went out this morning and Jamil and I had to get it down to the mechanic at Pierre Payen.
If any of this isn't enough I can write about a few more things, like almost all gas stations are refusing to sell fuel. This is because the government mandated price drop has put the station owners in the position of taking a loss on what they have on hand. The tempory loss of our big truck puts all the burden on our other truck for hauling water, teams, food supplies and construction materials. Hopefully we can find the parts tomorrow and have it back working for us by this weekend. Well that is just for my first and second day since returning to Haiti I could wonder about tomorrow but I want a good nights sleep so I won't. In God's love steve

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yup, that sounds about right.
Awww, the madness, the madness.
Keep on keepin on.
PS, Liz is in DR right now, did I mention that?